Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day Twelve: Back in the Saddle Again

I woke early still trying to find a way out of my technological nightmare.  I pondered several ideas and decided that if there was a card reader so that I could upload my photos I would purchase another iPad.  With that decided, I threw on some clothes, grabbed my camera and headed to the Rialto Mercato del Pesce.

The Mercato is a hub of activity early in the morning. Venetians haggle with fishmongers over the price of cuttlefish, octopus and scampi.  They inspect the lagoon delicacies with a microscopic eye to ensure the freshness of the catch.  Sometimes you can hear some raised voices as they play the expected game of questioning the cost  and freshness of the fish. It is all  part of the daily Mercato experience.

 I am amazed at the endless varieties of fish at the pescheria.  Razor clams, scallops in shell, all types of crabs and fish, both huge and so tiny that they hardly seem worth eating. All are so beautiful that I take enough photos to open a fish photography museum!

Afterwards, I walk to the top of the Rialto Bridge to drink in the sheer beauty of the Grand Canal.  I absolutely adoreVenice in the early morning hours  - before the day trippers descend on the island and begin to clog and congest the narrow streets and alleys.

Despite the hub-bub of early morning activity on the Grand Canal it is very peaceful and serene.  Looking out over Venice you can see how proud and regal she stands even as the morning light reveals a slight shabbiness to her timeless facades. It is easy to see why she is called La Serenissima. There is something so peaceful about this floating city that one can't help but feel a sense of calm. That is until the masses arrive and clog her narrow arteries faster than a Southern fried meal!

Now that the businesses that dot the tiny streets and campos are open, I rush to see if I can find an iPad and card reader so I can continue to blog and upload pictures.  Unbelievably, there is no card reader to fit the iPad anywhere on the the island! I move to plan B, which is to purchase the Samsung Tab 3, which I am assured you can upload pictures directly to. Approximately $632 later, I am in my apartment.... looking at a  micro SD card opening.. which, of course, none of my SD memory cards are!

Giving up on the dream of being able to upload and share my photos, I spend the rest of the day trying to translate everything on the tablet from Italian to English and decipher how the tablet works. Frustrated beyond belief I decide to stash my half empty bottle of Prosecco in the fridge, get dolled up and go out for a proper dinner, not my usual salami and cheese.

I walk a couple of blocks to Strada Nuova business district of Cannaregio and stop and read the menu at a restaurant mentioned in Tripadvisor.  During my daylong frustration I lost my appetite, however, the maitre'd convinces me to come inside. The interior is lovely and I am enchanted by the decor.

I order my prosecco in English and the couple at the table next to me immediately says, "Oh, you are by yourself, do you want to talk to us?" I laughed and said of course.  Mike and Mary live in Detroit and were in Venice before joining their Rick Steves tour of Italy. The funny, outgoing couple are committed to their troubled hometown city of Detroit, Michigan and I can tell from their conversation they have liberal leanings.

Mike is an internist, who believes in Health Care Reform and Mary, who is in hospital administration, agrees.  I am beyond amazed to find a physician who agrees with "Obamacare".  We chat about our industry for a while with Mike liberally peppering his comments with humor.  He is a lot of fun and kind of a touchy- feely guy always grabbing my arm or touching my back to add emphasis to his commentary.

When the conversation turns to traveling, Mary encourages Mike to "tell the Barcelona story." Mike commences to tell the tale of how he was pick-pocketed in Barcelona.  Gesticulating while he shares what he calls "the most embarrassing moment for any man" he tells how the pickpocket actually removed his wallet from his FRONT pocket.  Of course, I am doubled up with laughter as he concludes, "And the most humiliating part is I didn't even feel a thing!"

With great flourish he pats his stomach and says "Now I wear a money belt. But, of course, I don't want anyone to see it so I let Mary pay for everything." I look at Mary and say, "So Mary, where do you carry your money and credit cards ?"  With a twinkle in her eye she responds, "My purse, of course," and produces your garden variety non-secure shoulder bag.

We banter back and forth and while I eat my dinner and they drink more wine. I can't remember when I have enjoyed spending time with a married couple more. Each of them was fun and engaging in their own way.

After getting a bottle of wine "to go"  Mike and Mary say good bye and go in search of gelato.  Dr Mike has vowed to eat gelato every single day of his three week trip.  Wine and gelato??? These really are my kind of people!

I arrive home slightly buzzed and pour my last glass of prosecco while I go online with the new Samsung tablet.  It feels really good to be "connected" and to once again  be able to communicate with those I love back home.

After two technologically frustrating days, I am back in the saddle again and it feels great! My evening with such a charming and delightful couple was the icing on the cake... or to be more correct... the cherry on the gelato!






No comments: