Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day Three - Checking Out the Nooks and Crannies

Sunday was slightly overcast and a great day to try to get out of the heat and search for some of the places I had read about online. Armed with my camera and a new found energy,  I headed out in search of some of the out of the way areas of Cannaregio.

In particular I wanted to see if I could find the Misericordia Canal.  It was nestled in a quiet area of Cannaregio and it is supposed to be laden with dining out options.  Knowing it was slightly north of where I was staying, I headed back up the main street, Strada Nuova, in search of a little peace and quiet. On a hunch I headed up the Fondamente San Felice. Fondamentes are streets that line the canal.  This canal had such beautiful sites it almost made my heart hurt.
This is one of my favorites pictures on that canal.

Soon I reached the Misericordia Canal, and it too, was everything I had hoped for.  There were only locals and myself strolling the street at a "Sunday driver's" pace.  I felt like a kid in a candy store and stopped to take photos every so many feet. This was the Venice I had heard about and long to see - not the graffiti covered alleys of nonstop shops selling trashy, made in China Venetian masks.

I meandered farther and farther into the bowels of Cannaregio and crossed the Cannaregio Canal, second in size to only the Grand Canal.   I am surprised that my camera could keep up with all the clicking as I shot picture after picture of this breathtaking area of Venice. 

After several hours I ended up at Piazzale Roma, at the very northern end of the Grand Canal where all the ferries from the mainland dock to debark passengers. From there travelers transfer to vaporettos which stop at dozens of Venetian landings.  Since I was here I decided to purchase a 7 day vaporetto pass to save my legs and put my derriere to better use. I would also use this pass to travel to all the nearby islands in the lagoon.

I had seen Lista di Spagna on a map and in several articles about how it was the connecting street between Piazzale Roma and Ferrovia to the Cannaregio neighborhood, but, nothing prepared me for the cattle drive herding hordes of tourists down the tiny alley.  If ever there was a time for a panic attack.. this was it.

Overheated and feeling the crush of humankind dampening my spirits, I was elated to suddenly see the familiar landmarks of Strada Nuova. Funny how one experience can make another one seem so much better by comparison.  Never again would I complain about the crowds on the main street of my area for comparatively speaking they are not that bad.  At least I won't complain... until tomorrow.

No comments: