Sunday, September 1, 2013

Day One - I Must Be Dreaming or Maybe Just Sleepwalking

After a less than stellar welcome to Venice I slept and greeted the second part of day one with enthusiasm. I knew that my long flight and the long wait to get into the apartment some sleep had colored my initial view of Venice.

In the late afternoon of my arrival I walked a few blocks to Strada Nouva - the so called business district of Cannaregio.  It was an assault on my senses! There were SO many people that immediately my self diagnosed agoraphobia kicked in.

Getting acclimated to the throngs tested my mettle, but several deep breathing exercises later, I was able to find the TIM store to purchase a SIM card for my unlocked cell phone. I had  purchased the phone in Portugal for 259 euros two years ago knowing that I would be doing more international travel. Imagine my surprise when told said "unlocked cell phone" was "LOCKED." I was then forced to purchase a 19 euro cell phone and 25 euro card, which - you guessed it,  is not able to send text messages.- the sole reason for purchasing the card. Interestingly the 10 TIM text messages made it to the mailbox with no problem. I am now at three phones none of which enable to to call/text  anyone.

I walked for what seemed like days but in reality was probably only a few miles. I stopped at La Cantina for a glass of prosecco, before soldiering on through the wall of tourists. Along the way I took over one hundred pictures of quaint alleys and squares. When I knew my legs couldn't take anymore stairs, I turned around and retraced my steps back home.

Later that evening I stopped for a glass or two of prosecco at  Campo Santi Apostoli. The outdoor dining was lit by twinkle lights and was very charming. I am a huge sucker for twinkle lights. It must have something to do with growing up being one of the houses totally without Christmas lights during my "deprived" youth.  The calamari and grilled vegetable were unremarkable. The prosecco was magic and gave me the liquid courage to approach the Ca D'Ora Gelateria where I had a small scoop of cherry gelato- my first ice cream in months.

After that there was no stopping me, so I entered the Dulce store with resolve to find some licorice candy to complete my first night. Licorice candy- check;  pesce (peach) candy -  check and biscotti - check. Toting my treasures I headed for home extremely weary and ready for some well deserved sleep.

No comments: