Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Shadow is the Only Thing that Walks Beside Me

Exactly three months from today I arrive in Venice. I will take the Alilaguna boat from the Marco Polo airport to the Fondamenta Nova vaporetto stop and there I will begin my second solo European adventure.

It is always a little intimidating finding your way around a foreign city; and it is especially daunting in the beginning until you get your bearings. In most cities you can take a taxi from the airport that will drop you right in front of your accommodations.  Venice is unlike any city on earth and especially in this regard.   Since Venice is a auto free zone, the only means of getting around are by boat or the original means of transportation... feet.  

So, I will be searching the warren-like alleys for my canal-side apartment on foot; dragging suitcases carrying all I need to live like a Venetian for two glorious weeks.  All the tour books and travel blogs indicate that maps are useless in Venice since there is no rhyme or reason to the addresses, and, many of the tiny alleys have no street name at all.

There is no way to really research my journey from the vaporetto stop to my home away from home in advance. My trusty old friend, Google, doesn't have the street view for this mysterious collection of ancient islands.  I, alone, will need to navigate the confusing and cryptic directions provided in broken English from my Venetian landlord.

So far, this is the only thing that is causing any anxiety, the only thing that makes my solo trip a little scary. For those first nerve-wracking moments of my journey... my shadow and I will search alone.

No comments: